One of my favorite things to throw in the bath are bath salts. They are so relaxing to use, don’t leave my tub all icky and are quick and easy to make. My Mom is working on turning her hobby of making bath products into a possible career, so I’ve been lucky enough to get to test drive many of her items. One of my favorite products of hers are the Baking Soda Bath Salts. While many DIY bath salt recipes call for pouring lots of straight salt into your tub, I prefer this alternative. It’s less harsh on your skin and packages up nicely.
To make your own baking soda bath salts, you will need the following ingredients :
- 1/2 cup baking soda (Please remember that if you want to make this a truly animal friendly item, use baking soda from Ener-G. They are currently the only vegan baking soda brand that I can find. Arm & Hammer tests on animals and Bob’s Red Mill funds animal testing in medical facilities. If you know of another vegan source for baking soda, please let me know!!)
- 1/2 cup salt (Pick from sea salt, kosher salt, or epsom salt. This determines how coarse the bath salts will end up being, so it’s completely a personal preference!)
- 15 drops essential oil of your choice
How to make your own baking soda bath salts :
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- You can use now or package in plastic bags or jars for later use.
- For the essential oils, you can pick and choose from a variety of scents. Popular scents to try are sandalwood, lavender, rose, clary sage, or peppermint.
- Use as much or as little per bath as you like. Personally, I use this recipe to make enough for one bath.
After you’ve made these baking soda bath salts and given them a try, let me know what you think!
Images : WeHeartIt