Protein bites are something that I just never thought I could get behind. A cookie should be a cookie and protein powder, well, that just does not belong in a cookie! One day, after some ridiculous cookie cravings and realizing I did not have everything I needed in the pantry to make chocolate chip cookies, I gave in and decided to give protein bites a try. I had a hard time finding a recipe that sounded both appealing and simple. This recipes comes from hacking together bits and pieces of several other recipes.
PlantFusion recently sent me some packets of their protein powder to try. Their unflavored is what I normally purchase for mixing into smoothies, oatmeal, and coconut milk yogurt. It seemed like a great time to try out a new flavor! This recipe will make about one dozen.
What you will need to make Vegan Cookie Dough Protein Bites:
- 2/3 cup dry, raw cashews
- 1/3 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- 1 package PlantFusion Vanilla Bean protein powder
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla syrup or agave
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon raw coconut oil
- 1/8 cup raw cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, chopped
How to make Vegan Cookie Dough Protein Bites:
- Add the raw cashews, protein powder, and oats into your high powered blender or food processor. I used my Vitamix and it worked great! Blend until it’s smooth and powdery like flour typically is. You may need to stop the blender every 10-15 seconds and stir. For this, I use quick cooking rolled oats because I like the smooth texture they have. You could use steel cut if that is your preference, but I am not sure if the “flour” would come out smooth.
- Add in the maple syrup or agave, vanilla extract, and coconut oil. Blend until mixed.
- Pour the cashew, protein powder, oat, maple syrup, vanilla, and coconut oil mixture into a medium sized bowl. It should be powdery but have enough substance that you can form it into bite size balls. If it is not, add a little more coconut oil or vanilla extract and mix in well.
- Stir in the cacao nibs and chopped chocolate chips.
- Form the mixture into bite size balls. You will want to pack them gently between your hands.
These are now one of my favorite pre-workout treats. The flavor reminds me of shortbread, which is one cookie I miss!
If you try this recipe, please let me know. I would love to see pictures on Instagram and read your thoughts.
For a nut free option, I’d add ground flax seeds or chia seeds! 🙂 That’s the teacher in me! Totally trying these once I can get to the store.