When I first heard about vegan buffalo cauliflower, I was a little skeptical. It sounded like a dish that could go one way or another and be either amazing or a waste of good cauliflower. I loved everything about the recipe on its own. Roasted cauliflower? Awesome. Buffalo sauce? Super tasty. Ranch? Always good. Plus I’ve always wanted to find a good vegan alternative for buffalo wings.
After seeing pictures of them on Instagram and hearing a lot of buzz around vegan buffalo cauliflower, I had to try them for myself. They were really simple to make and the ingredients are very common in any kitchen. After trying them I can definitely see what the hype is all about, but the recipes I found online left a lot to be desired so I went about making my own. The result is this amazingly tasty and addictive dish!
What you will need to make Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower:
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk, soy milk or water
- 1 cup flour
- 3-5 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into pieces
- 1 cup buffalo or hot sauce
- non-stick cooking spray
Want milder wings? Use less hot sauce and skip the cayenne! Spicier wings? Add more cayenne! You could also experiment by adding more cayenne and less Frank’s Buffalo Sauce, and coating the cauliflower lightly in the batter. If you are making it with a light batter, this could be used for an entire head of cauliflower.
I used Frank’s Buffalo Sauce for the hot sauce, but feel free to use any that you like. It lists “natural butter type flavor” as an ingredient, but after contacting the company I can assure you that this hot sauce is free of any animal-derived products or animal-derived natural flavors. This is also the best buffalo sauce that I have tried.
How to make Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray. This is very important. If you do not spray it, the cauliflower will stick to the sheet. If you try to oil the pan with regular canola or olive oil, the cauliflower will stick to the sheet.
- Combine the flour, garlic powder, cayenne, dried oregano and almond milk in a bowl and mix well. Adjust the amount of garlic powder and oregano to your tastes. I do not think you will need to add more cayenne, but I will let you decide on that one.
- Add the cauliflower pieces to the bowl and stir until evenly coated.
- Place the pieces on a cookie sheet or in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, without flipping. At this point, they should be turning a nice golden brown.
- Drizzle half the hot sauce over the tops of the cauliflower pieces. Do not flip, shake, or move the cauliflower pieces.
- Bake for another 10 to 20 minutes, depending on your oven. If you want them extra crispy, broil for 3-5 minutes at the end.
- Place the fully baked cauliflower into a serving dish and drizzle with the rest of the hot sauce.