Have a craving for vegan wings? Want to give vegan buffalo cauliflower a try? This tried and true recipe has you covered!
When I first heard about vegan buffalo cauliflower, I was a little skeptical. It sounded like a dish that could go one way or another and be either amazing or a waste of good cauliflower. I loved everything about the recipe on its own. Roasted cauliflower? Awesome. Buffalo sauce? Super tasty. Ranch? Always good. Plus I’ve always wanted to find a good vegan wings recipe.
After seeing pictures of them on Instagram and hearing a lot of buzz around vegan buffalo cauliflower, I had to try them for myself. They were really simple to make and the ingredients are very common in any kitchen. After trying them I can definitely see what the hype is all about, but the recipes I found online left a lot to be desired so I went about making my own. The result is this amazingly tasty and addictive dish!
I know I usually just talk about cruelty-free beauty here on Logical Harmony, but this recipe has been made so so many times by so many. I love seeing the photos on IG of it – so please be sure to tag me!
What you will need to make Buffalo Cauliflower “Wings”:
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into pieces
- 1 cup flour
- 3-5 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or paprika (optional)
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk, soy milk or water
- 1 cup buffalo or hot sauce
Want milder wings? Use less hot sauce and skip the cayenne! Spicier wings? Add more cayenne! You could also experiment by adding more cayenne and less Frank’s Buffalo Sauce, and coating the cauliflower lightly in the batter. If you are making it with a light batter, this could be used for an entire head of cauliflower.
I used Frank’s Buffalo Sauce for the hot sauce, but feel free to use any that you like. It lists “natural butter type flavor” as an ingredient, but after contacting the company I can assure you that this hot sauce is free of any animal-derived products or animal-derived natural flavors. This is also the best buffalo sauce that I have tried.
If you’re out of cauliflower, or just feeling lazy, there are some other subs I’ve used in it’s place. Mushrooms, tempeh, and tofu are all good options.
Don’t have soy or almond milk? You can use water, but add a bit less than 1 cup.
How to make Buffalo Cauliflower:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, garlic powder, dried oregano, and cayenne pepper or paprika if you are using them. Mix it all up. Adjust the amount of garlic powder and oregano to your tastes. I do not think you will need to add more cayenne, but I will let you decide on that one.
- Add in the almond or soy milk and stir well.
- Add the cauliflower pieces to the bowl and stir until evenly coated.
- Place the pieces on a baking sheet or in a shallow baking pan. If you’re using a baking sheet, you will want to use parchment paper or spray oil to prevent the buffalo cauliflower “wings” from sticking.
- Bake for 20 minutes, without flipping. At this point, they should be turning a nice golden brown.
- Drizzle half the hot sauce over the tops of the cauliflower pieces. Do not flip, shake, or move the cauliflower pieces.
- Bake for another 10 to 20 minutes, depending on your oven. If you want them extra crispy, broil for 3-5 minutes at the end.
- Place the fully baked cauliflower into a serving dish and drizzle with the rest of the hot sauce.