Ever since I first published my recipe for buffalo cauliflower, I’ve been trying various versions of the batter mix and trying different foods. One of my favorites is buffalo seitan! Seitan is something I have been meaning to make but have just been too busy. It’s also something I kept finding in slices or small chunks, nothing large enough to work for this recipe. On my last trip to Whole Foods I found a package of seitan from Upton’s Naturals that was exactly what I was looking for.
I first had Upton’s seitan at Vida Vegan Con and have had a few kinds since then. It’s one of my favorite packaged seitans because they have several kinds – making it very versatile. I couldn’t wait to try mixing up some batter and throwing some buffalo sauce on this stuff!
What you will need to make buffalo seitan:
- 1 cup white flour
- 3 tablespoons original Spike seasoning
- 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup plain soy or almond milk
- 1 package Upton’s Naturals Traditional Seitan
- Olive oil or canola oil spray
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
How to make buffalo seitan:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, Spike seasoning. and cayenne
- Add in the soy or almond milk and mix well.
- Cut or tear the seitan into chunks the size of your liking. I like to do a mix of big and small pieces.
- Mix the seitan into the batter. Coat well.
- Lightly spray a glass baking dish or metal baking try with the oil.
- Bake for 18 minutes, then drizzle with 1/8 to 1/4 cup hot sauce.
- Bake for another 8 minutes.
- Transfer the seitan to a serving dish and top with the remaining hot sauce.
- Serve with a side of vegan ranch and some celery sticks.
Thank you to Upton’s for making such a perfect seitan product for this recipe!
If you give this a try, please post a picture on Instagram or Twitter and tag me in it. I’d love to hear your thoughts and see how it turned out!
We'll send you weekly recaps & more!