What can I say? I’m a buffalo sauce addict. There’s something so amazing about buffalo sauce. It makes anything it’s added to instantly better. After seeing the recipe for a buffalo bowl with tofu, beans and greens on The Vegan Crew I knew that I wanted to give the recipe I try. I also knew, however, that I didn’t have the majority of the ingredients on hand. That’s when a little kitchen improvisation led to this buffalo tofu kale salad.
What you will need to make buffalo tofu kale salad:
- A block firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- Olive oil
- Nutritional yeast
- Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- Kale, stems removed
- Red onion, cut into slivers
- Yellow pepper, cut into slivers
- Tomatoes, either heirloom (slivered) or cherry (halved)
- 2 tablespoons of a creamy vegan dressing, preferably ranch
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
How to make the buffalo tofu kale salad
- First, you will need to bake the tofu. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Oil a baking pan to prevent the tofu cubes from sticking with a little bit of olive oil.
- Sprinkle the tofu cubes with nutritional yeast.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the tofu cubes over. Drizzle some buffalo sauce on the tofu.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Add more buffalo sauce, until the tofu is well coated, and bake for another 10 minutes. The nutritional yeast and buffalo sauce should have baked into a nice crispy crust on the tofu.
- Massage your kale. Add in the other veggies.
- Mix your creamy dressing with more buffalo sauce. Do this to taste – making it as mild or spicy as you want.
- In a pasta bowl, top your rice with veggies, tofu and buffalo dressing.
This is a filling salad that’s perfect for filling those buffalo sauce cravings and not feeling too guilty about it. It’s also a great one dish meal that you could prep ahead of time and assemble later.